What Insurance Do Edmonton Marketing Professionals Need?
As a marketing or digital media professional in Edmonton, you know that mistakes can happen. You can face third-party lawsuits for your work. To get the right protection, you need a media and marketing business insurance package.
A media and marketing business insurance package protects you from any negligence or mistakes that can cause a client to suffer financial loss or property damage.
Do you own a marketing or digital media agency or are you working independently in Edmonton or in the Edmonton area.
Wherever you are working as a digital media or marketing professional in Edmonton, your Western Financial Group business insurance expert will give you top-notch insurance at the right value for you.
Western will get you professional liability insurance as a media or marketing profession in addition to Edmonton business insurance that will protect your livelihood as a media or marketing professional.
Media and marketing professionals who need professional liability coverage include:
- Public relations firms
- Advertising agencies
- Copywriters, content writers and editors
- Freelance media and marketing consultants
- Copywriters and editors
- Social media influencers
- Market researchers
- Computer animators
- Graphic designers
What is professional liability insurance for digital media and marketing professionals?
As media and marketing professionals in Edmonton, you write content, choose images, and generate ideas for your clients to help support their brands with their audiences.
You can face claims of plagiarism, missed deadlines, factual errors, defamation, and copyright infringement.
Professional liability insurance is a must to protect the media or marketing services that you provide.
This type of insurance provides coverage for claims of negligence, misconduct, or failure to deliver a service as expected. This type of insurance can help cover your legal fees and court-awarded settlements up to your policy limit.
It’s important to know that professional liability insurance does not cover deliberate misrepresentation or criminal acts as a media or marketing professional.
Here’s how professional liability insurance can help protect you:
1. You’re hired to write content for a corporate client’s website. The client says you missed the deadline and some of the copy you wrote is factually incorrect and it was full of typos. You are sued for negligence. Your professional liability insurance will help cover the legal fees and a court settlement.
2. As an editor, you failed to get permission from a photographer to use his photos on your company’s website. You get sued for copyright infringement. Professional liability insurance can help cover your legal costs and any court-awarded settlement.
3. You are a small marketing firm just starting out in Edmonton and insurance has not been top of mind. A new client makes it clear that you won’t get any work unless you can show that you have professional liability insurance. With professional liability insurance, you will show your client that you have complied with the request and you will also be protecting your firm.
What determines how much professional liability will cost?
- Past claims
- Types of projects
- Years of experience
- Annual revenue
- Equipment and tools owned
Here’s a business insurance checklist for Edmonton media and marketing professionals:
- Do you have the best Edmonton business insurance rate that suits your work?
- Do you have the right amount for your deductible and regularly review it to make sure it’s the right amount for you?
- Are you or your employees using personal vehicles for work?
What other insurance do media and marketing professionals need?
Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance
Without commercial general liability insurance (CGL), you would be responsible for paying any liability costs out of your own pocket if a client were to get injured or her property damaged at your marketing or digital media office. CGL insurance is also known as “slip-and-fall” insurance.
This type of coverage can also help protect you against allegations of false advertising, libel, or slander.
If you own a digital media or marketing firm in Edmonton, it wouldn’t be unusual to have $2 million to $5 million in CGL coverage.
CGL insurance is critical to your Edmonton media or marketing business.
Cyber liability insurance
If you are a self-employed marketing or media professional or you own your own firm in Edmonton that stores your customers’ names, addresses and credit card information, you are vulnerable to a cyberattack.
You may also be liable for damages to third parties whose information has been stolen and you may have to pay for notification expenses to inform your clients affected by a breach. Without cyber insurance, you will have to pay out of your pocket for the cost of restoring your system.
Commercial property insurance
If you are a self-employed media or marketing pro and have your own office or if you are a firm owner in Edmonton, this type of insurance helps with the cost of repairing or replacing your commercial property in the event of an accident or natural disaster.
Typically, commercial property insurance covers theft, vandalism, and fire.
You can also add earthquake insurance, sewer backup or flood coverage extensions to protect your Edmonton business.
Commercial car insurance
If you use your car to meet clients, you need commercial auto coverage as part of your insurance package. Personal car policies will not cover you or any employees using your car for marketing or digital media work.
Legal expense insurance
Legal expense coverage provides you with financial support to consult a lawyer for advice related to your Edmonton media or marketing business.
What do I do if my Edmonton business needs to make an insurance claim?
- Contact your broker immediately after any business-related mishap. Waiting to file a claim can confuse insurers about the severity of the damages to your business.
- Know your policy so that when you contact your broker you are familiar with what will be covered or not.
- If there’s any damage, document it. Take photos right away and write down what happened.
- Do not throw away damaged goods after taking photos. Keep the physical evidence so that your adjustor can see it.
- Do not invite lawsuits. Don’t say anything that could be used against you, especially if you aren’t sure what happened.
- Be honest about what your damaged property is worth. Damaged commercial property is generally valued according to its actual cash value or replacement value.
Western Insurance has licensed BUSINESS INSURANCE EXPERTS to get you the right insurance package as a digital media or marketing professional in Edmonton. We will help you navigate the business insurance journey to protect you as a media or marketing professional.
Please share this article with your friends
Talk to an Insurance Expert
Call Us Now 888-595-3104